different shades

different shades
Different Moments

Friday, June 18, 2010

Nobody Thought I Would Survive (4)

I have no idea what possessed me -- I did not want to go to the nursing home. I hid my face in the pillow and kept telling, "plz do not take me to the nursing home .. Granny did not come back from there.. neither will I return"!!
By that time, I was severely dehydrated. My toes were getting stiff and crooked. I could not pull them back. My brother was trying his best to pull and straighten them.
I remember asking my brother the time. It was 4 in the evening I learned.

I felt the need to go to the toilet again -- for the umpteenth time. When I was ready to come out of the bathroom, I stretched my arm to open the door and suddenly my head spun. I somehow steadied myself, but my body felt numb. "This is going out of control now!! I need immediate help!" - I said to myself.

My family was relieved to know that sanity had returned to me. My mother and sis-in-law packed a few essentials for me while I tried to dress myself. Suddenly I felt that, though I had had no urge to go to the toilet, something was flowing out of my body and I had no control whatsoever -- It was as if a tap had lost its washer -- my undergarment was wet! I called out for Ma, told her what was happening and proceeded towards the toilet again. Ma stopped me firmly. She asked me to come down to the car in whatever situation I was. "Do not waste more time" she insisted.

The journey to Belle Vue was a drag. It was a weekday evening and roads were jammed with traffic. I was throwing up non-stop and poor Ma was trying to contain it in a towel. The other outflow which had begun just before I left home was going on without a pause.
The car halted at every traffic signal that fell between our home and the nursing home at Minto Park. My brother tried to jostle through it all, constantly cursing the pathetic traffic scenario of the city.

At the main entrance of Belle Vue, I was transferred to a stretcher and carried to a dark corner. I do not know if it was actually dark - but everything around me seemed dark and hazy.
My father was told that we needed to wait for some time -- the doctor who had been waiting for me had to leave for some place else as we were late.
I was transferred to a narrow bed outside the doctor's cabin. One of the fourth-class staff of the nursing home came to my aid and gave me a couple of tissues and a couple of towels. I was still throwing up.
[later I came to know his name was Santosh - - I have met him numerous times since then - he always has a kind smile -- always asks "didi, how are you?" .. to me he is one of those people whom God sends to people in distress]
I do not know, how much time had passed. I suddenly realized the doctor had arrived and he was asking me some thing. I had to concentrate hard to understand

2 comments:

  1. I am so thankful you made it...please complete the blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im seeing your comment 3 years after you have made it! and see, I have not written a single word more..

    look at the date of your comment, July 22 2011.. from July 25 my life started changing first one way then the other..

    ReplyDelete