different shades

different shades
Different Moments

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Rest in Peace, Doctor Subrata Maitra!

Rest in Peace, Doctor Subrata Maitra!
You were one of those whom my father trusted completely since his first episode of hospitalization in February 2010 from pneumonia. Once he got cured by you, he developed a habit of trusting you with every kind of problem, be it Chest-related (your area of specialization) or not, over the following years.
I have seen the affection that you have had for our entire family, especially my brother, whom you almost considered your nephew. It had been a pain-stricken journey for you since the tumor and the cancer started growing in the brain around November 2014 or prior to that.
During my father's prolonged hospitalization in last year April, you have visited his room a number of times, leaving the decision-making and treatment plans to your team members, as you stayed away from critical decisions. I remember having risen from my seat in the waiting lounge whenever I have found you coming and you always assuring with the warmest empathy.
You came to see Baba on June 19, 2015, when we had taken him for a checkup at Belle Vue. Later on, you again ran into us when we were taking him for an eye examination. You touched him and made a gesture of a pronaam, saying, "aamar katodin-er chena maanush". Baba passed away the next morning. And you passed away this afternoon, giving in to cancer, that you have been fighting over the last 1.4 years or so. We, gradually, losing a generation of people who were affectionate towards us, who gave us the warmest of hugs on the toughest of days, seeing whom we stood respectfully, people who could be relied upon. Today, I am flooded with a deluge of memories most of which include my father, as you were his most trusted doctor, till the time he knew what to think.
There is a drawer full of small colorful envelopes in my room, envelopes that I am yet to throw out. One of those says, "With Best Wishes - Dr. Subrata Maitra". I remember the moment you gave me that and the token of blessings that was in there.
Rest in Peace, Dr. Maitra! You were family to us, and today I feel the pain of losing a family member. I am glad that my brother could visit you to pay his respect before the last rites. He owed you this. The many scenes of you hugging him affectionately getting replayed in my mind. heart emoticon
I know who would be the Happiest to have you up there!

No comments:

Post a Comment